11.1.12

Madame Grand Doigts research


I must be in love with this woman because I keep mentioning her.  I like folklore and I find it interesting that this folk story and custom has not been researched.  I googled her once again and saw some references to the character, including my posts where I’m having fun with it.  I read a new article that was written and read the interview done with Amanda Lafleur.  Both are interesting but they don’t go further into the origins of the story and how it developed.  I drive a truck and deliver beer all day so I’m unable to do any research except quick internet searches.  But if I had the time I would start with reading old newspapers from the Acadiana region around January 1st. That’s when she’s active nowadays and maybe a fun editorial or commentary was written.  Acadiana regions would maybe have different versions of her.  You could possibly see her character change through the years up until now.  Another way to search, especially if you know French, would be to email reference librarians in France or Quebec.  Visit French websites that deal with folklore or history and contact someone.  I’m sure her origins are from France.  Maybe she came from Quebec or Acadia.  She came from somewhere and she’s still around in 2012.

Questions:
Where did Madame Grand Doigts come from and what’s her real story?
Who brought her to Louisiana?
When did she marry Santa Claus and become, by some, Mrs. Santa Claus?
Is she bipolar?
Why does she visit on New Year’s Day and did she always come on that day?
Why are her gifts “simple” compared to gifts from Santa Claus?
How did she become disfigured?
I’m sure someone will find the answers and I could then quit talking about her.

Evangeline Parish French Creole Heritage

That's it for me. It's been real. I used to talk about this subject on forums and with people and several found it annoying. Evangel...