21.6.06

Madame Grand Doigt

Mrs. Long Finger? (Mrs. Santa Claus) It sounds almost sinister but she passed on New Year's Eve to leave gifts. I had to jog my memory in L'Anse Grise and visited Mom and Dad this matin for more memories. Dad said she used to leave apples, oranges, etc in the tree. She would place them between the branches. Mom said Maw Maw and Paw Paw, who were younger than Maw Maw/Paw Paw on my Dad's side, would go out on New Year's and then tell the kids in the matin that Madame Grand Doigt had probably left the goods in the char. She never made into the maison but instead left the fruit and firecrackers among the party hats, etc. Maw Maw then would make a salad and Mom and them would pop the firecrackers.

Dad also told me that people in Mamou would say she was mean; she would take away the presents that Santa brought on Christmas. That, however, would only happen to the mean kids. I'm going to have to look for anything Pascal wrote for more info.

Me, I remember finding football cards in my shoe or stocking. I also got ink pens, calculators, small Matchbox cars, etc. My brother reminded me that he got the Stars Wars Millennium Falcon one time. It didn't fit into his shoe.

Evangeline Parish French Creole Heritage

That's it for me. It's been real. I used to talk about this subject on forums and with people and several found it annoying. Evangel...