13.7.06

French at home

I visited Mom and Dad this matin and asked them about televison and other media. TVs came late for Mom and Dad so English was not heard too much at home. The Ville Platte Gazette was written in English and my Dad said his Dad could read and write in English. His Mom couldn't. Mom didn't say because we started talking about radios too. Dad said they had a big radio in the living room where the TV would be today and they could hear News in French from Opelousas and from Abbeville. I was surprised to hear that they could catch a signal from Abbeville. They did hear "French" music through the radio and the bands were probably from all over South Louisiana. I can understand why they liked the French music and hear the news in French - they were/are "French" people.

This was in L'Anse Grise and Ville Platte. It's amazing that you could drive maybe 15 minutes or less to Pine Prairie from L'Anse Grise and everything was in English.

I asked Mom again and she told me it was a big deal when TVs came. Mere Mere Odette had got one and the guys would go over and watch Boxing on the weekends. But TVs became common in her Teen years. She also said that they spoke English at school but she would talk French with her brother when they came across each other.

Evangeline Parish French Creole Heritage

That's it for me. It's been real. I used to talk about this subject on forums and with people and several found it annoying. Evangel...