12.2.08

dit in Cajun English

I hear dit often in English conversations among older French speaking people. The majority of the conversation is in English but for some reason, dit, sounding like Z, is said. I'll use more French in this fictional example.

Fontenot: Ca va Soileau?
Soileau: Mais, mon j'sus correct. Did you go to Mamou for Mardi Gras?
Fontenot: Non, I didn't go. I never did like that [expletive]. I talked with Bordelon the other day and he dit (Z), "They couldn't pay me to go to Mamou with all them damn drunks."
Soileau: Ouais, it's true. It's not like the old days.
Fontenot's wife: Allons old man!
Fontenot: Hein?
Fontenot's wife: Allons I dit (Z)! You want to go la veille in Reddell or you want to talk all night here?

I've heard it used in the past tense but not sure if it's said in the present tense. I'm pretty sure it's dit I'm hearing, like a Z, because within the context of the conversation it's he said or she said -- he dit (Z) or she dit (Z).

Evangeline Parish French Creole Heritage

That's it for me. It's been real. I used to talk about this subject on forums and with people and several found it annoying. Evangel...