27.2.08

tocaille "cop cop" tapis

I heard several new words and expressions lately. I man told me he was my tocaille because we have the same name. I didn't know how to spell that and also if he was just joking around. My Mom never heard of that word and neither did my Dad. I asked several co-workers and they were also unfamilar with it. Mr. Dowell, however, knew about it and Maw Maw too. I asked about it on the L'Anse Grise forum and learned that it's spelled toquail(m)/toquaille(f) or tocaille. The spelling tocaille is on the LSU Cajun French site and I also found it in Daigle's dictionary. Daigle defines it as a "Rascal". I'm not sure about the origins and all that, but if someone has the same first name as you then he or she is your tocaille (tow kye). That would be the case in Evangeline at least - I don't if other areas define it that way too.

A tapis (tah pee) in Evangeline Parish is a tablecloth but in Standard French it's a rug or carpet. In Terrebonne and LaFourche it's linoleum. Daigle defines it as a carpet, rug, and cover. I guess "cover" covers tablecloth and linoleum.

I heard "cop cop" tonight. A man had a small coin purse and he called it his "cop cop." The little coin purse looked like a minature, I would call it, Mere Mere wallet. I asked him again what he called it and he said "cop cop," like the little bird opening and closing its mouth. Dad said a "cop cop" was small rail type bird. I don't know if that's a Cajun word or not. I looked in Daigle's dictionary and he has a "kap-kap" but it's defined as a click beetle or insignificant/weak person. I don't know if that's the same thing, just defined differently, or what.

I also didn't get a joke: how many "yaw(n) yaw(n)s" make one couillon? Ten. Hein?

Evangeline Parish French Creole Heritage

That's it for me. It's been real. I used to talk about this subject on forums and with people and several found it annoying. Evangel...