21.3.08

Good Friday

Why is it called Good Friday? Jesus died today. I'll learn why when I come home from work tonight. It didn't start good today because I couldn't eat boudin. I had to punish myself so I ate a catfish basket. I'm sure many people will punish themselves tonight with shrimp po-boys, catfish, shrimp and beer. Those that gave beer up for Lent will buy whiskey instead.

I was told things were more serious back in the day. People ate an egg gumbo or an egg sandwich and that was all. There wasn't much money but I still think they did that because of the day, to remember. That's probably why St. Joseph's Day is not celebrated now. People party during Lent and one day doesn't matter. Lent was more solemn in the past. People settled down after Mardi Gras. But now we'll party all the time. I'm sure that's why the St. Joseph's Day tradition died around here.

Evangeline Parish French Creole Heritage

That's it for me. It's been real. I used to talk about this subject on forums and with people and several found it annoying. Evangel...