11.3.15

Ville Platte speaks French but is not Acadian

Ville Platte and the Evangeline Parish area never was.  I keep saying that and whenever I see something interesting I'll share it.  I was browsing the Net for something unrelated to Louisiana French language and came across this book that has an interesting chapter:

Chapter 11. “Cajun” French in a non-Acadian community. A phonological study of the French of Ville Platte, Louisiana by Thomas A. Klinger and Chantal Lyche

It can be found in this book:

Phonological Variation in French: Illustrations from three continents edited by Randall Gess, Chantal Lyche, Trudel Meisenburg 

John Benjamins Publishing, Dec 6, 2012

Great stuff.  I read some of it on Google books and got lost when they started getting deep into linguistic stuff.  I have no idea what they're talking about.  I did, however, understand the history and sociology stuff written at the beginning of chapter 11.  Google those words and find it on Google books to read some of it.  I was looking into Avoyelles Parish being designated as a French Creole parish and Evangeline being designated as a French Creole/Cajun mix.  That's interesting stuff in itself.  OK.  The genealogists, sociologists/anthropologists, historians, linguistic type people and old school Evangeline Parish people all say that Acadian and Cajun is a new thing around here.  It's a make believe tourism trick because Acadian and Cajun is a good seller.  If only real history would make money, then you would see Creole meat stores and Creole hamburgers, Creole Fries, etc, etc.

Evangeline Parish French Creole Heritage

That's it for me. It's been real. I used to talk about this subject on forums and with people and several found it annoying. Evangel...