4.5.15

Cochon de Lait Festival in Mansura - Cajun or Creole?

The Cochon de Lait festival is this weekend in Mansura, LA. That's in Avoyelles Parish. I was curious to see how it would be advertised and their site has "The festival mixes great Cajun food, good times and Louisiana music with the famous cochon de lait (French for roast suckling pig)." Visit the site by Googling Cochon de Lait festival. I don't put links anymore because a site might go dead or change. But the local newspaper coverage might call it different. I don't know anymore but they usually do. I've seen some online writings from the Avoyelles papers and they often mention French Creole heritage and culture. When they (the festival site writers) use the word Cajun to describe the food of the area are they really saying white Creole food, which is another way of saying Cajun food? Do they think they have a strong Acadian heritage? Do they believe the tradition of the cochon de lait came from the Acadians? Maybe Cajun to them simply means white Creole? I don't know. But if you're interested in that stuff, Google "Avoyelles French Creole" and also Google "Avoyelles Cajun" and "Avoyelles Acadian." And then watch how newspapers cover the event and also how the event is advertised. 

I've never been and we'll skip it this year for crawfish and Mother's Day. McGee's Landing in Henderson would be a great option but I don't know. Might stay close by. But check out the site and visit. It looks great, no matter how they label the food and fun. It won't take away from the taste and good times. But I want to mention something. I worked with several Avoyelles guys when working for the beer company. We were talking about something "Cajun" when he told me they were "very Coonass but we're not Cajun like those people in Mamou." And it's those weird beliefs and stuff that gets to me. What exactly did he mean by that? And why they call a panse (pounce) a gog?

Evangeline Parish French Creole Heritage

That's it for me. It's been real. I used to talk about this subject on forums and with people and several found it annoying. Evangel...