18.7.12

Creole Scoop It and creolecajun…


I made these two sites so I can share more information and free up my main blog.  I like Scoop it because you can share your favorite links and sites you find interesting in fun interactive way, instead of just pointing to a link and saying, this is cool, go see.  I worked in Reference at libraries before I sold and delivered beer.  One job duty I had was to collect information and store them in files.  I made folders for Creole information and they’re still there at the Main library in Alexandria.  I’m doing the same thing with the Internet.  My Dad inspired me because he made himself scrapbooks on the Creole subject, especially concerning our parish.  He was tired of nothing to read about and tired of false popular writings about how Acadians supposedly made the culture of Evangeline Parish.  So he collected all the articles he could find where people wrote factual information and talked about how everything was gradually being renamed Cajun.  That’s why we both are waiting for John LaFleur’s book to be published.  Someone will finally collect and organize all the information out there into one source.  It’s amazing that it hasn’t been done yet.  Winston Deville, Carl Brasseaux, Rocky Sexton and several others wrote “mentionings” of the Creole situation in the Evangeline area but no book was ever compiled.  It should be good.

I made creolecajun… for practicing French.  I’ll learn a word or phrase and play with it. I’m trying to listen to more music too because that’s a good way to learn.  I can’t sit down and study it.   I’m interested in a lot of things and I work a lot.  So I’m being practical in my approach to learning French.  I’ll never be fluent but I hope to learn as much as I can.  My parents still speak it and their age group is the last of the old school Real McCoys.  I mean, when they went party, for example, at the Evangeline Club, everyone spoke French.  When they were kids they all spoke French.  Their parents spoke French with them.  They lived in a French world.  That’s not true now.  We live in an English world and only hear French via music or KVPI.  It’s hard to learn a language when you have nobody to talk with or anything.  You have to be realistic about it all.  Anyway, I’m doing small things like that for me to learn and share.  I need to add more to creolecajun… but I’ve been busy lately.  But I haven’t given it up.

Evangeline Parish French Creole Heritage

That's it for me. It's been real. I used to talk about this subject on forums and with people and several found it annoying. Evangel...